Sunday, February 01, 2009

Sunny Winter's Day

Today was a deliciously wonderful day. The sun was bright, the sky blue and the temps teased us by climbing into the 40s...a veritable heatwave by recent standards.

After church and lunch the children headed outside and for the first time in a long time, the snow was packy enough for snowballs. They stayed out for a few hours, sledding, building forts, throwing snowballs and soaking up the warmth and sunshine.

Despite the warm temps, Rachel is still bundled up. Poor dear, I don't think she is ever really warm, until mid-summer. Dan was content to eat pails of the white stuff.


Hannah and Gabe worked on a fort. They often team up for building projects. And yes, Gabe is in short-sleeves. He is always warm and most days wears short-sleeves and goes barefoot in the house. Today was so nice and warm, he shed his coat quickly and seemed quite comfortable with bare arms.

Brian and I made a quick run to the feed store for chicken feed, bird seed and shavings for the chicken coop. I also picked up a new birdfeeder for the window near my sewing table. Brian made a few modifications to it so now it holds birdseed, suet and peanuts. Hopefully the birds will discover it soon.

Even our Kittie enjoyed the sun today. When we first brought him home, the folks we got him from told us he was a she. We named her Tiger Lily. We soon discovered she was a he and have been sort of calling him Willy...as not to confuse him too much. Well, Bess started calling him Punchy Larue after a character in one of her Nancy Drew games and it has stuck. He is definitely a Punchy! He has lovely markings. Isn't he gorgeous?


9 comments:

My Blessings From Above said...

You are all so lucky to have that much snow to play in! It was about 45 here yesterday enough to melt what little snow we actually had! :)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful day! Everyone looked as if they really enjoyed themselves, even Punchy, who, by the way, is a beautiful cat.

berrypatch said...

Ha! I wish I had Gabe's furnace! ;-) I'm always cold for the most part in winter.

momma24 said...

Those smiles are priceless. :)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I think I've been in the south too long. My first thought when I saw the photos was, "Oh, Debbie pulled out some of her old photos"...but NO - it's WINTER and it's really this WHITE where you live. Wow. Beautiful....Snow is serene.

Like the new look. I am dying to have a new valentine's look - and it's our 25th anniversary...but it gets lost in all the birthdays leading up to it.....so no Valentine's Blog look - because first I must do 3 more birthdays. LOL

Romany said...

It's snowed here this past week, but it melts too quickly! Sleet is more usual. And no fun!

Your cat is sweet. I hope you keep her in at night away from those coyotes!!!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Your cat is beautiful, they grow up so fast!

Look at Gabe, short sleeves in the snow!!!Colin's been know to go out in short sleeves in anything much above freezing. He's rarely cold, I wish I had that tendency!

Laura said...

I can't get over Gabe without a coat on! That is so like what my Jackson would do. And I can remember my brother doing the very same thing. :)

Love your snow pictures. I am getting tired of snow. Doesn't it seem like we have had enough for this winter? I say we just ban anymore snow!!! :) Oops - we had more last night. I am ready for spring!!!! :)

Cynthia said...

What FUN! Most of our snow is gone and now it's just cold and brown outside... If it's going to be cold, I'd much rather have snow!