Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Head Hurts

I've been researching and researching a new digital camera and about now, my head hurts!

This is the camera I have now. For the most part I have liked it quite well. It takes good pictures of the kids and our everyday shots. I can usually get relatively good results with my macro setting for flowers and insects. What is lacking is a decent zoom. I like to take pictures of birds and other wildlife and the zoom on the Canon just isn't enough.

I'm beginning to think I am asking too much of a point and shoot...good speed for kid shots, a great macro and a relatively high zoom. Before everyone jumps in about a DSLR, I am not ready to go that route. I need a good everyday camera and I don't want to be changing lenses or lugging around all that camera.

This is the camera I keep coming up with, but I'm still not sure. One thing that is holding me up is that I have gotten very used to the flip view screen. This is so handy when taking pictures down very low or at strange angles. Also, I am not sure about the size. It isn't as large as a DSLR, but still quite a bit bigger than I am used to and it certainly won't fit in my pocket!

Anyway, hubby spilled some coffee on my Canon and now the flash won't work, so I think I need to make up my mind soon. The camera is still under warranty, but I cannot be without my camera, as I am sure I will need to send it away to be repaired! So...the race is on to find the perfect (well, as close as I can get) camera.

So, anyone have a camera they just love that will fit my needs? I'd love to hear about it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my Nikon DSLR's but if you are looking at Point and Shoot . . . do check out the Sony Cybershot! I talk a good percentage of my pictures on my site with it!

Anonymous said...

. . . sorry but it does only have a 3x zoom on it (only down fall)!

stitchin schoolmarm said...

Debbie,
I bought a Cannon DSLR last spring and love it. It is 10 MP and very easy to use. If you buy it with just the normal lense it isn't that heavy and bulky to carry around. I fought going digital for the longest time because I liked my old Canon Rebel film camera, but I totally love this new camera.
tammy

Linda said...

While I love my Canon Rebel DSLR, if you're not ready for one, that's okay...the newer digital cameras really do have a lot of the options that the d-slr's offer as far as photo manipulation (like the portrait mode, action mode, night mode, etc)...the only difference is the fixed lens. If you are opting to do a lot of different styles of photography and need different lenses, then you want a d-slr...but if you're happy with a point and shoot digital, stay that route!

I like that 2nd camera, but if you're happy with your canon powershot, aim for another one of those! Or, buy a smaller one to use as a quick sub and send your canon in for repair.

I like having the option of cameras. I grab my little Kodak easyshare for snaps (and Scott takes it on trips) and I keep my big one with me for other stuff!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

That second one looks impressive...but then I'm the one who uses a powershot pocket camera while the Nikon D 70 sits on the shelf "safe and sound". ::snort::

Cynthia said...

This is so weird. I don't see any camera photos on your blog, but others must have seen them (LOL)!

My main camera is still my SONY Cybershot. I *LOVE* it. My "other" camera is the big Rebel xti that I don't carry around much, but recently I've been giving it a try and am starting to enjoy the quality I'm getting with it. No comparison between it and the little camera when it came to indoor pictures at the pool of our little guy swimming. The Sony Cybershot is great for outdoors and most indoor things where there is plenty of light. I LOVE that I can just stick it in my pocket.

Christina Holsclaw said...

Debbie,
So funny, I have divverent models of oth the cameras you have linked. My Panasonic is an older one (I got it 4 years ago) it has a 12x optical zoom, but is only 4mp. That said, I still use it and love it for what my cannon won't do, which is zoom. I take many simular photos as you do. The Panasonic is a bit bulkier, so I take my Cannon on the go, but ususlly have the Panasonic nearby. You won't be dissapointed with your choice as long as you are OK with it not being portable. (P.S. I wish there was a spell checker on comments!)

Debbie said...

Thank you everyone for your help. My camera has healed itself and three days after the spilling event, the flash is working again. I am still wanting a new camera, but don't feel quite so urgent anymore.

The search continues!

stitchin schoolmarm said...

I have no idea if this works or not, but my SIL also teaches middle school and her eighth graders told her that when something like their cell phone gets wet they put it in the freezer.
I do know last year we got some diet pepsi spilt on the playstation and it too was self-healing.
Tammy

Jodi said...

I will be no help because I have the exact same camera as your current one!

I very much want one with a better zoom because the kids and I miss so many good nature and wildlife shots because we can't zoom in far enough. I dread the research into just what would be best to get too though.....plus I really want a dishwasher more for our next big purchase!