We have been having quite a bit of unusually hot, humid weather this summer, which almost always produces late afternoon, evening thunder and lightning storms.
Today's storm was particularly wild, with heavy winds, tremendous rain (2.25 inches in just over an hour), and hail.
The hail was about nickel size. I do not dare look at what this storm has done to our garden! Three times during the duration of the storm, the hail came and coated the ground. It was quite interesting to see and I do love weather, but I am very concerned for our plants.

To top it all off, with the last wave of the storm, the power went out. It was only off for about two hours, but with the heavy rains on top of the close to four inch storm we had a couple days ago, the ground is saturated and our cellar soon flooded.
We do not keep anything down there of value but the house mechanicals and our big freezer. Because there was no power, there was also no sump pump. Everything is up on concrete pads, but the water came in fast. The water reached over the pads and up above the motor on our furnace and maybe the motor on the freezer. We will have to wait until the water pumps out to assess what damage there is. Brian is certain the furnace is heavily damaged.
Note: Brian spent several hours in the cellar lastnight pumping out the water and assessing the damage. He still doesn't know why, but the furnace motor was undamaged. He said it must be a sealed unit as the motor was under water. So, praising God, nothing of importance was damaged. We have a lot of cleaning up to do, but we are so thankful. Our cellar is just a cellar, not a nice basement or anything, so we really don't have anything of value down there. We had another round of storms run through, but we did not lose the power, so the pump was able to keep up with the extra water. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.
15 comments:
Debbie, sorry... We are always in awe of hail, but it can cause a lot of damage in a short time.
I hope when your basement dries out, the furnace turns out to be OK.
Last week we had evening T-storms that gave us a little rain - very short-lived showers. We're hoping for a tropical depression for our dry earth.
Hang in there.
Mary
Oh boy - praying with you as you wait for the furnace to dry out.
That was SOME STORM.
Oh Debbie,
I'm praying that the damage isn't too bad!
Praying for your furnace and garden! We had the storm here too but didn't get any hail that I noticed just super sized rain.
My children were wondering if you would post a picture of the little pool all filled up with the tapoles rescued from the big pool. If you have time or if it's photographable, not too mucky. They were just interested in seeing so many tapoles all together and how they were progressing and if it worked.
Debbie we are experiencing much rain here in my Canadian location..record breaking downpours but no HAIL!!!
Debbie,
I am so sorry. We have a finished basement in our house. Last year we had torrential rains and our sump pump wore out and quit flooding five rooms. I know what a mess you have, I'll be thinking of you.
tammy
Hi Debbie,
That looks like a bad storm. Here in CA we need the rain so very badly.
That must be so difficult having the cellar flooded and being without power.
Weather amazes me, too, even though it is very scary sometimes. How do the kids react to it? Mine are very scared of thunder and lightning.
I hope all is well with the furnace and plants.
Everytime the electricity goes out you realize how much you take modern conveniences for granted. I have an electric stove, once when the electricity went out I thought well I'll just warm us up something in the microwave! or not.
We had a bad storm roll through the other night as well... thunder lightening and INCHES of rain in a short amount of time.!
So glad there wasn't any damage to the heater!
Glad to hear that you didn't have any lasting damage. How did your garden fair? We haven't had hail, but lots & lots of rain this year. One large fast growing plant - which I cannot remember the name of - had been flattend in my little flower garden. I went & tied it up yesterday & discovered a pretty little yellow rose growing underneath it! :-)
Debbie,
I'm so glad your furnace still works! This type of thing happened in our cellar a year or so ago when there was flooding. I was sure the motor was going to be ruined but it still worked after everything dried out. I'm glad it was the same for yours.
We had a lightning strike close to the house from that same storm. I posted about it. My computer is down..not a direct result of the storm, but electical work needed afterward. I'm using hubby's...and very thankful that he's so willing to share :)
You got some neat pictures.
Your veggie garden is looking great. Aren't the fresh vegetables wonderful?
I love your new kitty. What a sweet thing she is, and her name suits her :)
I enjoyed seeing all the photos of the kids. Looks like they're enjoying the summer. I know I am! I just wish it would slow down. It's going too fast!
Praise God that you didn't have more damage! It's been one wild summer as far as weather is concerned. I'm ready for the storms to be over! But, you got some wonderful photos of that hail!
Oh Debbie, praise God that your furnace was spared!
Post a Comment