Monday, December 27, 2010

Big Snow

We had our first major snow storm of the 2010-2011 winter season overnight. This was a true nor'easter, working it's way up the coast dumping snow along the way.

It started last evening and snowed all night. I watched the snow swirl under the spotlight out back. It piled up very quickly.

It is hard to tell how much snow there is with all the wind. There are many places where it is well over two feet deep, but others only a few inches. My best estimate would be someplace in the 15-18" range.

This poor little bird feeder is somewhat protected from the wind, so the snow piled up high. The birds don't seem to mind the snowy hat on the feeder as they flit and fly back and worth for seed and peanuts.

The younger guys spend a lot of time making trails and sledding. The snow is very dry and powdery. It took quite a few runs down the sledding trail to pack it down enough to get a long run.

The birds are very busy today taking advantage of the steady supply of things to eat at the feeders. It must be hard for them to find food with so much food and I imagine the cold temperature and high winds tax their energy. We try and offer a wide variety of foods for them to make it a bit easier.

I usually bring the gazing globe inside, but I think it looks pretty interesting with a the snow cap and reflection of the house.

The wind caused some very interesting snow drifts.

I hope everyone in the snow area is staying safe and warm. Thankfully, we were all home today and didn't have any place to go, so we are enjoying the fresh snow, a cozy home and being together.

8 comments:

stitchin schoolmarm said...

Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas, Debbie. All we got was cold and a few sprinkles in Kansas. Take advantage of this weather and stay inside and do some stitching!
Tammy

Peonies & Magnolias said...

I was wondering how much snow you would get after watching the news yesterday. Here in TN we got an 1 at the most thank goodness. Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas and have a blessed New Year.

Sandra

Unknown said...

Just beautiful!!

Sheri said...

Merry Christmas Debbie. What great snow pictures!

berrypatch said...

I know we got less - about 8-12 I think? It's been really windy so it's hard to tell. I went out and shoveled once already simply so hubby could park tonight when he got home. He may have to shovel again. Winter is truly here!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Now THAT'S snow....we got our first one like this last year around New Years. The boys were here from TX and had a blast...I'm wondering if we'll have a repeat this year. It sort of "feels" like snow to me - but I'm a bit of a novice. LOL

Breezy Point Mom said...

Your snowy photos are simply beautiful. I miss those days.

My Blessings From Above said...

I love all of your snow pictures, Debbie! I especially love the one with the Christmas tree and seeing the snow out the window! We had our first major snowstorm here the day after Christmas and it was beautiful. We got about 18 inches and the boys were very happy!