My Poison Dart Frogs, Dendrobates tinctorius 'Patricia', arrived this morning. Poison Dart Frogs are not poisonous in captivity. The poison comes from the insects they eat in the wild.
I have been planning for a month or so, setting up their habitat with appropriate soil, sticks, leaves, hiding places and live plants. I also bought flightless fruit flies and culture to start raising our own flies.
The folks at Josh's Frogs are very careful with their frogs. The frogs were suppose to be shipped last week, but the weather was warmer, so they rescheduled for this week, when the temp was suppose to be cooler. They arrived in great shape, looking healthy and very alert. I would definitely recommend this company if you are looking to buy frogs. They have great service, healthy animals and a great selection.
Here is one of the little guys in his shipping container. They are very tiny right now, but will get larger when full grown.
We released them right into the habitat without touching them as it can harm their skin if they are touched too much. We added some fruit flies and they immediately started chowing down. They are so incredibly cute.
This is their habitat. It is a 12"x12"x18" Zoo Med Terrarium. It is a bit bare right now, but the plants will fill in soon.
Here are my new babies, enjoying their first meal with us. Looking forward to raising this new pet.




3 comments:
So tiny and cute! Their habitat looks nice.
Adorable! I am fascinated following the new pets you and Jodi's family are accumulating! I love how you used the penny to show the size of the frog.
Cool.
Post a Comment