Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Nature Study - Pond - October

This year I wanted to add a pond study to our nature study outings. I read about this on angelicscalliwags. They have been doing a weekly year long pond study. I love the idea of following one particular place through a year of seasonal changes. We are hoping to do ours study at least once a month. During better weather, we might make it more often.

Our pond is not really a pond, but an inlet area to a local reservoir. It is separated from the main body of water by a small causeway. It is very close to home and should work well for our study.


Today was more of a scouting mission and we did not do a lot of gathering or investigating, but we did find a few things. Hannah and Dan love that they can get right down to the water. Hannah collected some lily pads.


Rachel ventured to the other side and found a path down to the water. This is a regular fishing spot, so there are paths in several places, which will make for easy access to the water.


Rachel found this interesting plant. We took a sample and after keying it out, found it was a Buttonbush. The seed heads are very interesting.


This very tiny spider was walking along on top of the water. I had the camera on super-zoom and he was quite small, but we wanted to add him to the pictures.


Here is my and Rachel's journal entries for the day.



8 comments:

Kristine said...

Such a wonderful idea to study a place through the seasons! How fun to be able to study together as a family; it seems the older the kids get, the more challenging that becomes. Love the photos, and beautiful notebooking.

Unknown said...

Wow,Deb! That's fantastic...and very interesting.

Unknown said...

Wow,Deb! That's fantastic...and very interesting.

Laura said...

LOVE that you are 'back' here on your blog!! And wow, your notebook pages are lovely. Terrific place for a nature study.

Liz Tolsma said...

Rachel has some beautiful entries!

Linda said...

Beautiful journal entries, girls! I admire your creativity. My girls would probably like to do some nature studies.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

So very happy to see you back on the blog. ::grin::

We did this about 20 years ago and the kids loved it (though our journal entries were not near as nice as yours).

I've been thinking of trying to find a place to do that with the younger set this year....you are quite possibly giving me the nudge I need. Possibly. ::wink::

Debbie said...

Thanks, everyone. I love nature study, but kids haven't always. I think we finally have a good mix of kids/ages to pull it off this year. :-)