Monday, October 20, 2008

9/29/08 - Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

The weather finally broke and the sun came out. There were still some clouds, but the sky was mostly clear.

We all have our favorite places to visit when we go to Maine and one that everyone agrees upon is Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. It is a perfect example of the rocky Maine coast. There are tidal pools, great rocks to climb on and a glorious view of the open ocean. I could spend my whole vacation at Pemaquid and not tire of watching the waves come in and out.

Lobster boats making the rounds of their traps
It seems to be a common theme of our trips...picnicking. What a great setting for this meal.

Rachel explores a pool
Sea Urchin
Hermit Crab
Star Fish
Gracie loves the water and always wants to take a dip no matter how cold the water. Of course, some of the kids are the same way. As you can see, Gabe is already quite wet.

Look at that sky and sea. They seem to mirror each other.

Gabe wanted to venture out further and further towards the surf, but the waves were very wild, so we made him stay behind the first line of rocks.

No matter how many pictures I took, I couldn't capture the wildness of the sea this day. The storm off the coast was causing the sea to churn and crash.


Me and my now trademark red hat

Pemaquid Lighthouse
It was a fantastic day. I felt refreshed and recharged.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

LOVE all the pics! I sure wish we lived closer to the ocean. I love the sounds and smells...

My Blessings From Above said...

What an awesome vacation! I love all the pictures of the sea creatures. We just completed a study on moon jellies. My boys would love to hold a live sea star!

berrypatch said...

I love Pemaquid too but I've only been there a couple times. I need to get back there. Beth & I took the boys a few springs ago & had the place to ourselves. So nice.

Jodi said...

Simply beautiful. The ocean is the best.

I'm glad that you had a fun family vacation.