Monday, February 08, 2010

Rachel's 11th Birthday

Rachel had her 11th birthday on the 8th. Our kids just love birthdays, even when it isn't their own, but especially when it is their turn. They talk about whose turn is going to next and then count the days, weeks or months until the special day. Ever since Christmas, Rachel has known that her birthday comes next and has been eagerly awaiting the day.

I surprised Rachel by bringing her lunch from McDonald's and staying and having lunch with her at school . We then went back to her class and shared cupcakes. It was such fun seeing her face when she say me and realized what was up. Her teacher is very sweet and everyone sang happy birthday and then she put up a large board and everyone take turns saying some nice about Rachel.

Mom and Dad came over later in the day to have dinner with us and celebrate. We had one of our favorites, Shepherd's Pie, and Rachel requested ice cream cake for dessert.

I had given Mom and Dad some suggestions for gifts, one being a sewing box. Mom was able to find a nice one and stocked it with some supplies and pieces of fabric. Rachel loves working with her hands and I am teaching her some simple sewing techniques. She was so thrilled with the gift.


Happy Birthday, Rachel. We love you! :-)

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

What a sweet way to surprise her with lunch at school. You're such a great mom!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Nolan and Rachel share a birthday - but with the dateline I missed that. Happy birthday to Rachel. She's turning into such a young lady.

berrypatch said...

What a fun day! I love the last photo of Rachel. She looks so happy with her gift!

Romany said...

That's great that you managed to capture her delight on camera!

Kristine said...

Fun post, I enjoyed reading about Rachel's birthday. Loved her pics too. Happy Birthday, Rachel!!