The vegetable garden is doing great. This spring, we spent a lot of time setting up the new beds and building the fence. (Well, Brian did most of the work!) We wanted the whole structure of the garden to be more permanent and durable. We didn't know how much time we would have to actually plant the garden and work it this summer. What a pleasant surprise that we got it all planted and that everything seems to be thriving. We have learned a lot about this system and we will make some changes next year, but we are very pleased with how things are going.
Here are a few snippets of what is growing.
I love how the garden looks, all the nice neat beds with the different textures and hues of green. Hopefully next year will be even better.
That looks AWESOME! You've given me hope that we might be able to attempt a garden someday. Is it hard to keep the weeds down with the beds like that? I'm guessing it's much easier than having a regular garden?
Well, after I posted these pictures, we had the hail storm, which did a bit of damage, but worse than that, we discovered our vine crops (squash and cucs) have squash borers! We took some drastic measures and we hope it works. At this stage there is not a lot that can be done. I was so disappointed. We are still getting some good fruit, so we will see if the plants survive.
We had a garden like this when we had our house. Bob did all the work. ;-) THis year we have one but I love the look of yours - so orderly - which appeals to me!!! Enjoy your harvest in the fall. Love the photos.
Wow, your garden is doing GREAT! Let's see. Our pumpkins never pumped. Our corn??? No idea. Blackberries, zilch. We have a few tomatoes, regular and cherry, and we have a few raspberries. And one of our dogwoods is toast.
However, our neighbor brought over a giant tub of potatoes from his garden. Apparently his secret is to get manure from the dairy farmers and mix it into our clay. This is why I prefer to buy things at the grocery store. I don't WANT to know what happens to get it on my table!
11 comments:
I love how your garden looks too! It's so crisp and fresh...and inviting.
Your garden is beautiful! Love the new kitty and the new van. Man, you were busy posting yesterday! :)
Wow, you garden looks great. Soon lots of fresh goodies to eat.
Debbie,
That looks AWESOME! You've given me hope that we might be able to attempt a garden someday. Is it hard to keep the weeds down with the beds like that? I'm guessing it's much easier than having a regular garden?
Looking GOOD!
Well, after I posted these pictures, we had the hail storm, which did a bit of damage, but worse than that, we discovered our vine crops (squash and cucs) have squash borers! We took some drastic measures and we hope it works. At this stage there is not a lot that can be done. I was so disappointed. We are still getting some good fruit, so we will see if the plants survive.
We had a garden like this when we had our house. Bob did all the work. ;-) THis year we have one but I love the look of yours - so orderly - which appeals to me!!! Enjoy your harvest in the fall. Love the photos.
Oh dear, what are squash borers? Doesn't sound good.
I can't wait to read what you will do differently next year. I love hearing how people evaluate (and modify) their projects after a year's experience.
Of course, we obviously just plant tomatoes. Ha!
What a beautiful and tidy veggie garden. I would love to have one like that.
I love your garden! I am hoping to have more veggies, etc. next year, but this year we are concentrating on the outdoor kitchen and vineyard.
Wow, your garden is doing GREAT! Let's see. Our pumpkins never pumped. Our corn??? No idea. Blackberries, zilch. We have a few tomatoes, regular and cherry, and we have a few raspberries. And one of our dogwoods is toast.
However, our neighbor brought over a giant tub of potatoes from his garden. Apparently his secret is to get manure from the dairy farmers and mix it into our clay. This is why I prefer to buy things at the grocery store. I don't WANT to know what happens to get it on my table!
LOL with Dan behind that giant leaf!
Post a Comment