Monday, May 14, 2007

We Love Having Bri Home

Brian took a day off today. He has been gone quite a bit over the last several weeks and he wanted a day at home. He was able to check off a few more things on his project list. The kids and I took a day off from schoolwork to enjoy dad being home.

Bri rotated the tired on the van and changed the oil on the car. Our poor old van is getting close to the end of its time. Brian manages to keep it going. He is hoping for one more year before we need to get a new one.

Next came his vegetable garden. He raked off all the old corn stalks and tilled it once through. He will get a couple loads of manure and then till it again before planting.

The silly chickens love it when Bri does this job. As he goes, they follow him around picking at bugs and worms and scratching in the fresh turned soil.


Dan sure likes pushing around the little wheelbarrow.

After dinner, we treated everyone by going out for ice cream...Yum! Bessie had a new flavor called Espresso Therapy. It is coffee ice cream with chocolate covered almonds. I have got to try that next time. She is so adventurous and loves trying new flavors.

We love to explore new roads that we haven't traveled and tonight we found a new one. It meandered through a series of small ponds. It was very lovely and there were quite a few people fishing. Brian took note of that for future fishing opportunities.

As we were driving, Gabe yelled, "look at that duck" and then Bessie said, "it's a swan". Bri pulled over and I was able to get a picture. It was a Mute Swan and we do see these occasionally around here but not often. It was so lovely watching it dip it's head under for some small morsel and then coming back up.

9 comments:

Romany said...

Debbie,
What's the structure in the distance of the photo of Brian tilling? (I'm so nosey!)
Dorothy

Debbie said...

Isn't it hideous. Our neighbors aren't very tidy! It is what remains of a deck/porch that used to be attached to their mobile home. They now have a different house and did not reattach this lovely thing. Most of the roof has blown off and there it stands. Thankfully it is way out back and we don't have to look at it too often.

Tiffany said...

Great posts! Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. The chickens pecking at the upturned earth was a cute picture, and so was Gabe and his wheelbarrow. They're so helpful at that age!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Love the photos of the chickens...what a treat to catch a swan. Your area of the country looks lovely.

Jodi said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Dan is so cute with the littelt wheelbarow and chickens, so funny.

Kristine said...

Why is it when Dad "takes the day off," the kids get a vacation and Dad works even harder than ever?! LOL.

What a great day to take off and work on some projects!

Isn't it funny to think that before blogging, you probably wouldn't have had your camera handy to catch the swan?

Debbie said...

You are right, Kristine, I carry my camera everywhere with me now. I was always a bit nutty about having the camera, but since I started scrapbooking and now blogging, I never go anywhere without it.

Cynthia said...

I know I'm more intentional about somethings now that I'm blogging. I also always carried my camera, but now I LOOK for things to photograph and stories to tell.

Kathy in WA said...

What a lovely snap shot (plural) of your day! Nice family time. I would definitely want some of that coffee ice cream. Great flavor name. :)