Saturday, November 08, 2008

10/13 - Closing the Pool

I'm still trying to catch up on some older posts, but because I also use my blog as a form of memory keeper, I want to get these in.

Columbus Day weekend found us closing up our pool for the season. We usually do this earlier, but Brian's schedule has been very busy this fall.

Brian cleaned up the leaves from the bottom and began dumping water to lower the level for winterizing. Lower the water level can take a few hours.

We got out the tarp and spread it out. We used to have a spring loaded safety cover which is nice in that it lets all the water go through, but it was more work to put on. We may get another one eventually, but with replacing the pool liner this summer, there was no money left for this expense, so a pool tarp works fine.

Bess helped us fill the jugs. These are old chlorine jugs that we use to hold the tarp in place.

It has been a family tradition that Bessie is the first one in the pool in the spring and she has to take a swim before we close it up. I wasn't going to hold her to this as it was quite late in the year and the water was very cold. She was determined to take a swim.

The look on her face says it all...that water is cold. We had many nights in the low 40s, high 30s.

She said that once you were in, it was actually pleasant. I'm quite sure I won't be giving it a try.

Gabe would not be left behind. By the looks of him here, he also is not sure about the logic in all this, but tradition is a very important thing.

He's still smiling, but hasn't quite gotten all the way in yet.

Well, I guess once you take that leap, there is no turning back.

After that, they had a great time. They stayed in the water for about 30 minutes.

Bessie is our resident frog catcher. She can swim right up to them and snag them out of the water. They don't have a change with her in there. We wanted to make sure we didn't have any frogs wintering over. They can not get out of the water with the cover on and would not survive. This little guy was put in our garden pond which is much more suited to his needs.

Gracie was not to be outdone and took her last swim also.

The Littles were not sure about this whole swimming in October idea, but Hannah soon joined in the fun.

This is Dan taking his very quick dunk. He wanted to be included, but was not thrilled with the cold water. Rachel declined to join the others. I can't say I really blame her. She gets cold in July.

Back to the task at hand. We cleaned up the pool enclosure, picked up all the pool toys, mowed the grass and secured the solar cover.

We blow out the water lines with the air compressor, added RV winterizer and plug the lines. The pump and filter will be put down cellar for cleaning and will be ready for spring.

The tarp is brought in along side the pool and stretched across. We have been doing this for many years and it takes no time to finish the job.

Laying out the jugs and the job is just about done.

It is always nice to have this accomplished, but also makes us a bit sad . The summer goes by so quickly in the north. May will bring the reverse of the operation and the children will once again make that plunge into very cold water. Our pool, one of the many cycles of our family life.


12 comments:

Living the Good Life said...

Nic asked if he could swim the other day! We haven't closed our pool yet, but had some guys here the other day to get ready to get it done. It will be kind of sad to see it closed down, because we love swimming so much!!!!!

Kayla

berrypatch said...

Oh.my.gosh! BRRRRRR!!! I swear some of your kids are part polar bear. ;-) I'm with Rachel!!! Just reading this post made me shiver. LOL

Linda said...

This post made me cold! And no matter how easy you make it look, it is a lot of work, I am sure. But when you have 5 kids and live in the country, that pool is probably a lifesaver!

My Blessings From Above said...

You're children and your dog are braver than I! I am cold watching them swim! :)
Michele

Linda said...

You tell those kids I said they're crazy! I won't swim in our pool past September. And make sure to tell them we live in Florida! :)

Laura said...

Love your pool and all your pictures! And what beautiful fall foliage in the background. Brrrrr!! I'll bet that water WAS cold! :)

Romany said...

THose posts made me smile!

Diana LaMarre said...

BRRRRRRRR, Just watching them take the plunge made me shiver! But what a fun family tradition it must be.

I always enjoyed your carving-the-pumpkin post. It looks like you started another tradition.

What a great family you have, Debbie. It's wonderful to see how you all enjoy your daily life.

Kristine said...

Well, my goodness, I get cold taking a SHOWER in November! I see a future for Bess in a Polar Bear Club (you know, those New Year's Day swimmers when it's about 2 degrees!).

Wonderful post, Debbie.

Cynthia said...

Everytime you post about early/late swims I start to shiver (LOL)! I'm still trying to post some older entries to my blog as well for the same reasons. right now I'm trying to decide if I bag posting all of the fun things we've done for Year 1 Unit 1 and just move on to Unit 2 which we're in right now or go back and do Unit 1..... sigh...

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You certainly have some devoted Polar Clubbers in your house. I always love seeing the change of season in your home.

Jodi said...

I'm cold just looking!

Job well done getting the pool closed up.