We did some chores and then had an early lunch. The NY State Museum in Albany was our point of destination for the afternoon. Bessie and Gabe had been asking to go for some time. We weren't too sure how the Littles would do, but decided to give it a try.
Everyone did great! We brought the stroller and Dan did ride some at the end. The kids were genuinely interested in the exhibits, they walked nicely, no running and were relatively quiet and very well behaved. It was so very nice.
The museum has displays of New York natural history including animals, rocks, industry and recreation. I loved the rocks and the birds are also a big hit with me. The kids enjoyed the animals and the discovery area which had lots of hands on things.



There is a large display covering the Native American peoples of New York, including this great longhouse.

(Gabe looks a bit grumpy, but he said he was just getting tired)

The most difficult part of the visit was the exhibit on 9/11. There were artifacts from ground zero set around a very large room. They was a firetruck that was on the scene when the towers collapsed, partially crushed and burned. There was large structural pieces along the walls and part of the landing gear from the airplane. Pieces of clothing and badges from some of the fireman were in another case and there were video scenes and news broadcast playing of that day and the days that followed. It was very sobering. Bessie asked to leave. She said it was all just so sad and it was. I would like to come back to this room, perhaps alone and linger a bit more.

Brian made Italian subs for dinner and we had ice cream sundaes for dessert. Yum!
Overall, it was a very good day for us. Each time we try something new with the Littles, we are not sure how they are going to do, but with each success, we gain more confidence to try new things. I feel we are on an upward spiral toward being more like the "old" family.
7 comments:
One more victory for you!
Dorothy
What a great day! No running and relatively quiet-what an accomplishment! You make a beautiful family.
Wow, I'm so impressed! If I had taken my littles, you would have read about it in the news. "Local homeschool mom chases down 4yo as 2yo destroys recreated dinosaur fossil." I can hardly take them anywhere.lol
You all did well! It's great that new things and whole family outings are getting easier. The museum looks fun, love the longhouse and other interesting things.
Debbie, it sounds like a really wonderful time, and what a great encouragement to do something similar again soon!
I think I would have felt the same as Bess. It would still be way too soon for me.
I added Italian subs to my menu for next week, that sounds yummy and optimistically SPRING like!
Praise God for upward spirals. Rejoicing with you. This looks like a great outing.
WHOO HOO! Sounds like progress to me! I bet the older ones were excited to be able to do something like this again.
Post a Comment