Monday, September 10, 2007

Full Steam Ahead

Well, maybe not quite full steam...more like a slow perk, but we did manage to get most everything done today, with a few frustrations. I'm still trying to work out the scheduling kinks...what takes more time, what takes less, who needs help with what and who can do work on their own.

Bessie has a very full schedule this year with her major challenge being CQLA (Character Quality Language Arts). She is enjoying this but it is very intensive and requires a lot of writing. This is an area that we have been lacking in the past, so she is on a steep learning curve at the moment. She is working hard and says she is learning a lot, which is our major objective. It is designed to be a one year program, but she is taking it slower and will do it over two years (Thanks, Lisa for this suggestion.).

Bessie labors over her writing
Gabe is a very smart boy, but continues to be a challenge to teach. He does not like sit down book work much and would always prefer some other way of learning. I've tried to come up with creative ways for him to get the same information without too much seatwork, but some time you just have to sit and use a pencil! He enjoys MUS (Math U See) for the most part, as long as we don't work on it too long. He likes the idea of CQLA, but does not like writing, so some of it I let him do orally and I write it for him. He learns so much for someone who seems to do so little work. It often amazes me. I'm thinking most of his learning comes from the fact that he often has his nose in a book of some sort.

A new curriculum that we are using this year is 106 Days of Creation. Gabe loves science, but wasn't thrilled with Apologia last year. I think it "sat" on one topic far too long for him. This new curriculum follows the days of creation and all that was created on each day. The topics are varied and look like a lot of fun. There are quite a few hands on projects which everyone enjoys. The Littles enjoy sitting in while we do science.

The only thing we didn't do today was history, but I am planning on alternating science and history this year, so we will get that in tomorrow.

Gabe playing with the MUS blocks
Rachel and Hannah are quite willing to do seatwork and enjoy using workbooks, so that is the route we are taking with them right now. They are also both using the MUS Primer level. They are working on Pathway and Rod & Staff Phonics books. Hannah particularly is making real good progress.

Dan and Hannah enjoy the puzzles

Dan is my greatest challenge. He is bright and energetic, but does not like to be left out, so trying to get work done with Dan hanging out can be tough. I'm trying to pair him with one of the other youngers for short periods to help keep him occupied. I have quite a few pre-school activities that I need to organize and set up for him so that he can be with us working, but not be a distraction.

I have confidence that we will work out the bugs and have a productive year!

Dan had his first speech therapy session today. Anne, the therapist seems very nice and although Dan was shy, she was able to engage him in some play and get a feel for areas that she will need to focus on. It is nice that she is able to come to the house and I'm hopeful that she will help Dan move forward with his language skills.


6 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

You're doing really good! Love the pictures. I know how hard it is to juggle everyone and everything. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and pretty soon, it'll be easy.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

WooHOO - you're off and running.

Kristine said...

Debbie, I love reading how things are progressing. It sounds like Hannah, Rachel and Dan are blending in really well.

Trevor is the same as Gabe, needs to wiggle a bit (okay, a lot). It's just *different* from Holly.

I'm really pleased that he's been doing "lengthier" copywork this month much more easily than last year, four or five lines a day. (He will sometimes write on his own 1/2 a page or so, but just not for school.)

Don't underestimate how much Gabe can learn by reading on his own! I've cut out most of Holly's assigned history reading this year, only because it frees up so much time for science and art, and she remembers every book we've ever read, and she reads so much on her own.

WHAT a blessing that the therapist comes to your house. You don't have to pack several kids up and then occupy them while at an outside appt., and Dan has the comfort of working at home. Will the therapist let you sit in a bit so you can help Dan practice during the week?

Jodi said...

Gabe sure sounds like my Colin (as well as Kristine's Trevor, they'd probably have a blast together!). It is hard for the wiggly active boys.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL - just reread this post...slow perk...love it!

Cynthia said...

Nice line up... slow perk (LOL).. hmmm... I wonder what you would call our fall..... lukewarm I suppose.

We LOVE the Apologia elementary series, but I agree a year is a long time to spend on it. If we were doing it alone we would probably do it in 1/2 a year, but since we do it in co-op a year is fine. The teachers add in so many extra things not included in the book that it keeps it moving for the kids!