Monday, September 01, 2008

We had two broody hens this summer. They would sit and sit and sit. I didn't think anything was going to come of it. Well, I was wrong. This little guy made is his appearance a few weeks ago. What a little fluff ball.

Unfortunately, the two hens started squabbling over the space and several other chicks did not survive. We finally took the rest of the eggs away. I'm not sure if they were still viable anyway with all the fussing going on.

The little guy, is doing well and has moved down to the floor with momma. She keeps a good watch over him and he is doing fine.

Isn't he so cute. Here mom is sharing some crusts of bread with him.

8 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

What a sweet little chicken!

Unknown said...

How neat! I bet the kids love the animals. We lost two chickens this summer, so we are down to three. Not much egg laying going on right now.

Jodi said...

Oh My that's the cutest thing I've seen in awhile. It is a lovely soft color.

RuthieJ said...

What a cute little chick. That hen looks like she's a good mom.

Anonymous said...

Is your hen a Blue Orpington? She looks like mine!

Debbie said...

Susan, I don't really know. These are our bantam hens and they are all silkies, but other than that, I don't remember what we have. She is a lovely silver gray/blue color. We also have a rooster the same, so maybe this little guy/gal will look like momma. We also have a couple of other roosters, so we never know.

Cynthia said...

What a cutie!

Kristine said...

Darling, love the pics of the chick with its momma!