Monday, October 20, 2008

9/30/08 - Ocean Point

Our last full day in Maine. The sun was once again shining brightly and the day promised to be a beautiful one.

A vote was taken and we headed out to Ocean Point. The kids wanted to play in the water and search for shells and beach glass and Brian and I just love watching the sea.

Bessie, Gabe and Dan decided to brave the frigid water again. The tide was heading out which made for some great waves.

I love this picture of Bess. I'm not sure why it is so appealing to me, but it seems to capture her loveliness and her adventurous spirit back dropped against the sea, rugged rocks and trees.

Gabe has so much fun and is fun to watch as he experiences life so fully. He sat on this rock as wave after wave crashed on him.

Hannah and Rachel choose to stay a dry land. Rachel especially gets terribly cold very easily. They searched for beach glass and special shells. Don't you just love Hannah's hat? That hat just says, "Hannah".

Of course, Gracie would not be left on shore. She quickly made her way to the waves. Brian kept the leash on as we were afraid she might swim out too far and get caught in the heavy current.

After a change of clothes for the water babies, we had lunch on the rocks.

Every time we go camping or hiking or exploring, I daydream about being able to sketch some of the scenes or creatures we see. Taking pictures is great, but there is something about drawing what you see.

This year I was determined to give it a try. I got a few books from the library on keeping nature journals, bought a blank sketch book and did not allow my perfectionist tendencies to get in the way. I actually did some sketching. I am not ready to share them with the world, but each one was a bit better. I am hopeful to continue at home and improve my drawing skills, but whether they improve much or not, I am pleased to be finally keeping a nature journal.


A couple came by and offered to take a family photo for us. Wasn't that nice of them? We had a nice chat. They were from Arkansas. We meet the nicest people on our travels.



5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I've always wanted to do a nature journal, too..... Hope you can share it with us someday.

Kerri said...

Debbie, your Maine vacation pics are wonderful! Love that family portrait, the campfire shots, and the beach scenes. The one of you sketching is lovely..very peaceful and relaxed. Have you seen Betty Edward's 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain'? It's a great teaching book. Look for it in the library. I'm glad you had such a wonderful vacation. Maine is gorgeous, and the kids look so happy. Everyone does! :)
I'm looking forward to FeederWatch.

berrypatch said...

Love the ocean photos. WOW - it must have been SOME COLD in that water! :-) I love the photos of Bessie & Gabe - what a goof sitting with their with the waves. Too funny! I love that family photo!

Jodi said...

That's a nice family photo. It's nice that you are following your interests and starting to draw.

RuthieJ said...

Gosh Debbie, that water looks cold! but everyone's having a great time! What a fun trip. I love the family photo too!