Tuesday, March 15, 2011

40 Days - Day 6



Thought a lot today about what it means to focus on something. Here is the definition of focus from the dictionary:

As a noun - a central point, as of attraction, attention, or activity

As a verb - to bring into focus (okay, so I hate when they use the word to describe the word)

So, if I am working this Lenten season on having Jesus as my focus then he should be the center of all my attraction, attention and activity. And if I am going to focus all my attraction, attention and activity on Jesus, then it needs to be an active thing, not just a passive thinking about him sort of thing.

Today, I am working on cutting out some extraneous stuff. I am not thinking of it as giving up things for Lent, but a refocusing on Jesus, which requires giving up some things that don't necessarily support that goal and will be more long term and not just for Lent.

This will be an ongoing process and as I come across things that seem less good than other things, they will probably go. It is tough to assess all areas of your life and make decisions of what stays and what goes, sort of like sorting my clothes. As I lighten the load, it seems to get easier, but I know in the area of activities, it will be harder than deciding to get rid of that dress you haven't worn in a year. Lots of prayer and discernment will be needed.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

This is definitely something I always need to come back to. It's too easy for me to start to feel confident. I have to avoid a comfort level otherwise I let earthly things take over.

Unknown said...

I love the way that you talked about actively centering your life around Jesus. You are so right, it's not just thinking about Him, it's about doing. Thanks!

Cynthia said...

It's SO hard to decide which activities to keep and which ones should go.... I think I told you awhile ago I gave up worship team because they wanted more hours than I could give.... now I'm looking at adding a similar activity back in, but at a significantly reduced amount of time! Seasons...

Trish said...

It is not easy to let go of things...or our time and give them to the Lord.

I will be praying for you as you decide on some of these things.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

"I am not thinking of it as giving up things for Lent, but a refocusing on Jesus, which requires giving up some things that don't necessarily support that goal and will be more long term and not just for Lent."

EXCELLENT thoughts, thanks for sharing. I know what you mean and have been doing some of this myself.