The children watched as they saw a tree being tapped in the more tradition way with a drill, spile and bucket.
Then they learned how this particular sugar house does it with taps, tubing, large tanks and an oil fired evaporator. It is still a very labor intensive operation and during sugaring season, these folks work very long hours.We had lunch in their very nice dining room and were treated to ice cream with maple syrup, yum.
The entire evaporating process was explained and questions were asked and answered. All the kids were given activity books and little bottles of syrup.
Before leaving, we wandered around the cow barns (the family that runs the sugar house also owns a diary farm). Everyone is always reluctant to leave their friends.
Gabe especially enjoys spending time with his buds.
I think Dan wanted to climb right in with the cows. All the kids had a great time.If you live in or close to NY, they will be having Maple Weekends on March 19-20 and March 26-27. Many sugar houses will have open houses with demonstrations and activities. Check here for participating sugar houses. Visiting a sugar house is great family fun.
6 comments:
Fun trip, looks like great weather. I am beginning to really cherish those car times. ...maybe it's because I have both my kids captive in a small space? lol
FUN field trip :). I find myself often wishing that Amanda could have done this or that with us... sniff, sniff...
Very neat trip! We loved our maple sugaring trip and the boys are still talking about it.
Neat! We're hoping to start making our own syrup next spring. We missed out on getting ready for this season.
Oh, how fun, how FUN!! I want to come visit your area of the country so badly!
This is fascinating! Thanks for sharing your day with us.
Post a Comment