Fairy Houses by Barry KaneI found this book while browsing the "new" section at our library. It is full of pictures of "Fairy Houses". According to the book, Fairy Houses were started in a group of islands off the coast of Maine many years ago. Families would make these cute little dwellings for the fairies. I thought how fun to try this!
I sent the kids on the hunt for good natural material around the yard and woods, set them each up with a spot of their own and they made fairy houses. They put themselves into the task and seemed quite interested in the idea. It was a fun activity for all os us. I might try and build one myself in my garden.
I took the following photos as soon as the kids said they were done, but I noticed throughout the afternoon that they kept going back, adding, redoing and changing their designs. I will have to check again in a few days and see what they have come up with.
Bessie's creation
Hannah's

6 comments:
Debbie - this is a great idea! Did you read the book aloud first and then send the kids off to create on their own?
Very cute idea!
Kathy, there is very little text in this book. It is almost exclusively photos. There is a brief explanation in the front of the book and I rea that.
There is another book called "Fairy Houses" written by Tracy Kane that is a picture book written for children. After searching our library catalog online, I realised they had this book and I will be getting it this week.
How cool! I have heard of fairy houses before but never thought to do it with the boys. Perhaps this is something to try! I LOVE all the kids creations!!!! :-)
How funny - last week another friend mentioned their fairy houses on their blog. I'd never heard of them.
What a terrific project for the kids (and grown ups):)Isn't our fascination with fairies curious? I remember so clearly how my brother and I would go exploring into the meadows and woods in our very young days, early in the morning especially. Our imaginations would run wild with all the wonderful things to be found there :)
One particular favorite book, that I still have from my childhood, is full of wonderful black and white illustrations which I colored as a child.
Post a Comment