Monday, January 15, 2007

Kitchen Project

Every since we moved into this house over 10 years ago, I have disliked the wallpaper in the kitchen. It was too bold and dark for my taste. Well, today was the day to be rid of it.

The ice storm kept us all inside and Brian is always willing to tackle a home project. I wasn't sure about starting as I know how long it can take to finish things and with an old house, there is always the potential of opening a can of worms. You are never really sure what you are going to find when you start ripping and tearing.

Getting the paper off was not as difficult as we had thought it might be and we soon had the room down to the bare walls. All the kids joined in for a while, but Bessie was the only one that stayed with us to finish.

Before
Bess helps out
After
We are going to paint the wainscoting and woodwork a country green and repaper the walls in a simpler country pattern. I would go with just paint, but the old lathe and plaster walls are not smooth enough right now. Bri said he would float the walls, but I think paper will be fine.
I'm still undecided about the cabinets. They are stained wood right now, but I'm thinking I might paint those too, but am wondering if it would be too dark to paint them the green...we'll see when we get that far. Bri would love to replace the counter top, but I was going more for a make-over and not a real renovation.

6 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You guys are impressive! I can't wait to see the finished project.

I'm dreaming of ripping up all the carpet in the house and putting old, rustic hard wood down. Um...proably isn't going to happen. LOL

Debbie said...

It must be hard when you aren't sure how long you are going to be in a place. This house has hardwood in about 1/2 the house.

Kristine said...

Oh, what a thrill to redo the wallpaper, particularly to something that suits your tastes! I've helped my dh often remove wallpaper, and last year for the first time, I actually help put new paper up.

I agree, I'd love new countertops and cabinets, but not for the $$$. Dh put some nice stain/finish/oil on our and bought new handles. Good enough!

I'll look forward to seeing your "completed" pictures!

Kristine said...

Um, changing to De'Etta here, do you have wood subflooring that you could refinish, instead of having to lay down new wood floors?

Jodi said...

We have the same type of old walls and yes wallpaper can hide what paint cannot! LOL Looks like a big project but good that Bessie can help out.

Cynthia said...

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see more pictures as you go along. We've been in our house for 16 years and one of these days we really need to redo our kitchen. The drawers have been fixed so many times, dh doesn't think he can fix them anymore.... I can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out!