Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dissections-Warning...some graphic photos

While Gabe was working on his owl pellet, Bessie was tackling some dissections. She finished her Apologia Biology book and had saved all the dissections for last. She was really looking forward to working on these...she is so my daughter! :-)

Her first specimen was an earth worm. She tackled like a pro, reading the directions and using her tools properly to find all the different parts.

Carefully opening the bag of specimens
Does this look right mom?
Ever so gently
Is this kewl or what?
Final inspection and diagramming
The smell was a bit much, but we lit a nice candle and that took care of most of the odor.
Bessie finished up for the day by doing a crayfish. She still has several to do, progressively getting more detailed creatures. I just love science and so does Bess!
Check this out!

5 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Cool! Way to go, Bess. Looks like you did a great job on your dissection. I'm sure everyone was thankful for scented candles. :)

Cynthia said...

The smell is the WORST part, imo. FUN FUN! Last year dd1 dissected a cow's eye and a heart which we were able to get from our local butcher. VERY NICE since there wasn't any smell.

berrypatch said...

Oh those aren't bad ones yet! :-) I'll be skipping the posts when she gets to the big stuff. LOL

Lisa in Jax said...

My kids can't wait to do the dissections.LOL Looks like fun. (yuck)lol

Kristine said...

EW, I didn't look closely, but I had Holly come check out the pictures!