by Mary HoodI received this book from PaperBack Swap (Thanks, De'Etta!) and found it a quick, interesting read.
There was nothing earth-shattering in this book. Most of what was in it I already knew, but reading it right now was perfect timing for me.
I have been struggling with our homeschooling the last year. When the Littles came home, I sort of freaked out because they were so far behind what is typical for children their age. I let go of a lot of the methods of schooling that had worked for us in the poast and substituted a more traditional schooling approach. It was not working for us.
This book helped me to realize that the more relaxed, eclectic method could and would work much better for us, even with the kids needing extra work. To coin a phrase that I've heard some of my cyber-friends use, we enjoy being "fun-schoolers".
I am taking our winter break to revamp our schooling. Hopefully we will be able to get back to having more fun, less stress, less busy work and more actual learning.
I would recommend this book if someone has not tried a more relaxed approach to homeschooling or for someone like me, that just needs a friendly reminder.
3 comments:
I love Mary Hood, Debbie. I've heard her speak a couple of times at our state convention and always leave feeling encouraged.
This book sounds great! I wonder if it would be good for people with highschoolers? How would you do relaxed in highschool? I'd really like to know.LOL
I had the same reaction - it wasn't EARTH shattering or NEW but it was REFRESHING and just the encouragement I needed when I read it. I would love to hear Mary Hood in person.
Post a Comment