Monday, April 23, 2007

Spring Gardening

This past Saturday was a gorgeous day. The temperature was pleasant and the sun was so bright. It was a perfect day for gardening. My perennial border gets quite covered with leaves and debris during the winter. This makes a nice winter blanket for it, but also makes for a large job in the spring.

I usually leave most of the last few flower stalks over the winter. This adds a nice structure to the garden over the winter as the seed heads and long stems are a nice contrast to the starkness of the snow.

We had several of these large tarp fulls to pull out back to our brush pile. We find it so much easier to use the tarp to pull large loads than making many loads with the wheelbarrow.


My water garden always seem to take a lot of abuse during the year. The kids play around it and the dog gets in when she is loose. The rocks get knocked into the water and of course there are lots of leaves to clean out.


After pulling out the water lilies, which overwinter in the bottom, we found them already starting to put out shoots. Another few weeks and the dark green leaves will make it to the surface. The other plants are still inside as they are not frost hardy. I will wait a few more weeks to bring them out and also put our gold fish back in.

We had to reseat the little waterfall section and then we set the water pump back up. What a wonderful sound to water flowing in the garden again.

All cleaned up and ready. Some of them plants are already coming up, but many still have a few weeks before they will start coming through the ground.

My gazing ball got broken last fall when I tried to take it off to put into the garage for the winter. I'm still trying to decide what color to get this year. I love my garden and the fact that Bri will help me so much with the heavier jobs makes it much more pleasant.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I'm surprised at how many things are already coming up in our flower bed. I'm really anxious to see what makes it through the winter. I commented on your waterfall before, but want to say again that I LOVE IT!

Jodi said...

I love your water garden. I REALLY love your leaves on tarp idea. haking my head thinking why did I never think of that, we'll now I'll know!

berrypatch said...

Cool - you're in your blog! :-) Well, you know what I mean. Us blogging/scrapbooking moms sometimes forget to take photos of ourselves. Hmmm - I second Jodi on the tarp thing..... :-)