by Neta JacksonI loved this book! Thanks, De'Etta for the recommend on the second in this series.
It is hard for me to write why I loved it so much. It is well written, but not what I would call a great literary book. It is a nice story about a group of woman from very different backgrounds that meet at a Christian Women's Conference and are almost forced into a prayer group. Something happens while the women are at the conference and they decide to keep the prayer group going.
As I read the book, I found myself challenged with my idea of how to come to the throne of God. About worship and prayer and how I looked at it. I found myself identifying with Jodi in the book who doesn't quite think she needs prayer as much as some of the other ladies because she leads a very normal life.
I was also struck by the idea that somehow I feel more worthy of God's love because I have led a good life, but in that I also don't feel the intense love of God that comes from having someone love you when you don't deserve it! And then realizing that none of us is good enough to deserve God's love, so none of us is any better than another. These ideas were really driven home for me and gave me so much to think about. I'm still working it all through in my head. I found it very humbling.
I am looking forward to continuing with this series. This is a definite recommend.
8 comments:
Sounds interesting. I wonder if our library will have such a book? I'm trying to buy as few books as possible right now since our shelves are bulging (LOL). I'mt rying to do like some of the others on the loop and use the library (or friends) more often and only buy what I'll really use or read more than one time!
Thanks for the review! It really saves me time to read books that others have already previewed and I know I'll enjoy!
Cynthia, I was able to get this book from our library system and they are not known for having Christian books. I also try and use the library or PBS as much as possible. Our bookshelves are busting at the seams so I try and keep the fun fiction to a minimum and safe space for our school stuff.
That book sounds great! What was the first one in the series? Is it necessary to read the first one to "get" this one? I LOVE book recommendations!
Debbie....it sounds like this is the first one, right? I just got the first one from the library....and need to decide which book on my Spring Reading Thing to tackle next. LOL
Yes, this is the first one. I have a thing about reading books in order! :-p
I have the next one waiting for me at the library.
I've read all of them except number 6. I have #5, so if you're interested, I can send it to you! I absolutely LOVE the series. Maybe because I relate so well to Jody...I am SO much like her. There's another series that I love, called Dearest Dorothy, by Charlene Baumbich. The main character, Dorothy, is much older, but again, they're easy reads that give you a lot to chew on, without realizing it!
I like to read books in order, too!
I have read the first three books, and I'm thrilled to see here in the comments that there are more. I really liked them too. Interesting characters, not many that I could consistently empathize with.
Post a Comment