Monday, April 02, 2007

Spring Peeper

Northern Spring Peeper
Pseudacris crucifer crucifer
This little guy is a true harbinger of spring in the northern parts of the country. You can usually hear them on the first rainy, warm night of spring, mid-March to early April.

Tonight while doing his outside chores, Brian heard the first chorus of peepers. Gabe and I went out to see if we could hear them and sure enough the first brave fellows were calling. There were not very many yet, but they were "peeping" down at the river.

There is an old wivestales that says Peepers will be "frozen out" three times before spring really arrives. Those in the north know that you can't count on being frost-free until Memorial Day.

The Wood Frogs will be next with their duck like call. Wood Frogs have the unique ability to actually be completely frozen. They have some type of natural "antifreeze" which allows them to endure this extreme.

We will be setting up our aquarium as we like to raise some frogs from eggs to adults every spring.

5 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great photo. He's a cute feller. Maybe I'll print him out and put him in my frog bathroom. LOL

Unknown said...

He is a cute little guy! My friend who loves frogs needs to see this. She is the one who rescued me when a very tiny tree frog invaded my living room during a scrapbooking class. I was in the dining room on a chair until he was removed to the great outdoors. I will certainly not be visiting while you are doing your "eggs to frog" experiment! I had planned on it, but you've gone and ruined it for me now. :^D

Debbie said...

LOL...
Okay, I have to fess up, I did not take this photo. These little guys are tiny...about the size of the fingernail. I got the photo from a USGOV site.

Ginger, gosh, I could keep the froggies outside! I'm sure we don't have anything nearly as scary as you folks down south! You have large snakes and mean insects. You are welcome anytime.

Unknown said...

Oh, well, if you'll keep them outside. :^D I wonder how long of a drive I'd have!

Cynthia said...

I love the summer nights when you can hear the frogs croaking. Right now we're pretty excited to be waking up to the bird chirping. Certainly it means spring is HERE!

I was wondering how you got so close up to him (LOL).