Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Columbus Day

Today was another gorgeous day...sunny, clear and a bit warmer. I think we might have reached 70 today.

Brian worked all day outside...in the garage and the yard shed. He organized, sorted, and hoed out. He is determined to get his little car in the garage this winter and he made a lot of progress toward that goal.

They finished cutting the corn across the road today, so if we get some good breezes this week, we will try out our new kite.

Gabe decided he wanted to make a diarama of a reef. I don't know where he got this idea, but he ran with it. We found a box, he painted the inside and drew some sea creatures. Tomorrow he wants to do some more painting and we should be able to assemble the parts. Out of the blue he also decided he wanted to build a fireplace out of bricks for the back yard. Brian took time out of his working to help him with this project. We have a pile of old bricks out back from the fireplace we took out. They hauled and stacked and before long they had a nice fire going. We all sat around and enjoyed the blaze. There is nothing like an open fire.

I gave Bri, Gabe and Dan haircuts today. I gave the little boys their's outside. Dan is easy...a quick buzz with the clippers. Gabe likes his a bit longer on the top, but still pretty easy. Bri has that very short military cut, again pretty easy. Rachel wanted me to cut hers and I told her only if I could use the clippers. She didn't think that was a very good idea. I do need to get all the girls to the hair salon.

We had homemade soup and biscuits for dinner. All the kids needed showers again after a full day of playing outside.

4 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I love your fireplace story. I dream of having enough room for a fire pit at our next home....here the yard is way to small to try anything with flames. LOL

Lisa in Jax said...

NY looks like a beautiful place to live. I guess I always think it must be wall to wall buildings and I forget that there is still areas left with trees and such.lol

Cutting girls hair is easier than boys if they want long hair. You can cut the bangs by holding her hair between your index and middle fingers and resting your fingers on the bridge of her nose, just under her eyebrows. Then just cut under your fingers straight across. Keep moving your fingers until you have her bangs all cut. This should last you for a while until the back needs cutting.LOL

I hope I was clearer than mud.lol

Blessings,

Lisa

Jodi said...

I just did all our boys too. My dd needs her bangs cut and a trim but was a bit wary of my talents this time as last time I got things just a little bit crooked and had to keep trying to re-even it, LOL. I'll have to try Lisa's tip but I'm pretty sure that's what I was already trying(perhaps i have crooked fingers!). Maybe I shall see if she wants to grow out her bangs!

Love the outdoor fireplace idea. How cool that it was your ds's idea.

Cynthia said...

Like Lisa I'm surprised to hear you write about cornfields (LOL)! MORE PICTURES, please >VBG>! When you have time.... of course I realize we're all so busy. I'm glad to have found your blog so I can catch up on your new little ones.
Cynthia