by Ellis PetersThis is book three in the mystery series about Brother Cadfael, a 12th-century Benedictine monk from the monastery of Shrewsbury.
Brother Cadfael has taken the cowl late after a very full life as crusader and sailor. He now enjoys the peace, quiet and solitude of his herb garden and workshop at the Abbey, but life isn't always so quiet as Brother Cadfael entwines himself in solving murder.
I had read these books many years ago and enjoyed them very much. I am now listening to the them on audiobook.
The stories are very interesting and although you can usually figure out "who done it!", the methods and means of how Cadfael proves it all is always a surprise until the end. And there are usually a few twists and turns that keep you wonderful what he is up to.
I've found the language very rich, the characters wonderful and description of life during this time to be very interesting.
I would highly recommend these books.
7 comments:
I love her books! The historical details are excellent and authentic. (I have a friend who's a medieval history professor at the University of London and she says they are so I believe her!)
I've got to get to Shrewsbury one day!
Dorothy
Dorothy, thank you for sharing that. It is great to hear that they are authentic. I really love these books.
I don't tend to reread books very often, but I have some of these books.
Have you read any of her other series. I think I'm going to try them.
I've seen these and wondered about tackling them...but I've never found a library with the early ones.
I think I've seen them too, maybe even read one. I can't remember! yet the cover looks very familiar for some reason. Maybe a series to look for again.
Thanks to Deb's previous recommendation I am about done with the first book. I can't wait to see how it turns out! ;-)
I can't wait to read some more of these various authors and series that everyone has been sharing. I'm just ready to start the last of the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers and then I can give 3 book reviews at one time!
My whole family loves the Cadfael books. The show they made some years back with Derek Jacobi was wonderful as well. I always have them loaded up on my reader program for those moments when nothing else will do.
Ellis Peters could have written 20 more of them and I still wouldn't have enough! ;-)
Susan in Va (SHS)
Post a Comment