Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Tale of Mistaken Identity...

Our female guinea has been sitting on a clutch of eggs. Yesterday, Bessie informed me that she had seen a chick with the momma, but only one. I was disappointed as she hatched out 13 last summer. It wasn't until today that we were able to get a picture of it. This is not a guinea chick.

My thoughts are that one of chickens found the guinea nest and laid an egg in it. It is out in the woods out back and the chickens like to lay their eggs in a place that already has an egg in it.

The incubation period for chickens is 21 days, but guineas are 28 days. I am hopeful that the female will stick with her own eggs and continue to sit them for another week. I'm not sure how will handle this little guy (or gal) as he will not be able to get up into the trees as easily as the guineas can, which will make him fair game for our local predators. We might be able to catch him and raise him like we do our other chicks and then put him in with the hens.

4 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

How cute! I'm sure that guina hen was surprised.LOL I hope you can catch him/her and introduce him/her to it's own kind.LOL

Cynthia said...

UH OH! Mistaken identity, for sure. Hopefully you were able to catch it.

Kristine said...

Oh, what a cutie! Poor little thing!

Jodi said...

Oh what a funny thing to happen, are you my mother? LOL