Thursday, June 28, 2007

Hot Day Activities

It was quite hot and humid this week, or the first part of the week. We spent most of our time hanging out inside or at the pool.

We do not have air conditioning in our home, but we do have lots of natural AC, in the form of large maple trees. If we keep the house closed up, the trees keep it shaded and it will stay pleasantly cool for a few days. If the heat and humidity persists past 3 or 4 days, the house will start to get hot, but usually by then we will get a wonderful thunderstorm that cools off the air.

Bessie making no-bake cookies
(what else on a hot day)
Dan concentrating on his army
Hannah, Dan and Gabe enjoy making pictures with shapes
We had one of those wonderful thunderstorms yesterday afternoon into the evening. It poured and the lightening was quite impressive. It didn't cool off right away and when we got up this morning it was still hot, but by afternoon, the skies started to clear and the air cooled off. It is very pleasant right now.

8 comments:

Amico Dio said...

Wow. I wouldn't know what to do in this scorching heat without AC. But then again if I lived in a better climate I would love to not have to foot the bill for it!

;o)

Cynthia said...

It's so hot here... I don't know how we used to survive without a/c... well we did have a window air conditioner so I should say I don't know how we survived without central air. It's been right at 100 for several days now and it doesn't even cool off at night. We also have lots of "natural" a/c.. but it doesn't help much when it's THIS hot!

No bake cookies are GREAT!!!

Emily said...

It has been in the 90's here all month . . no bake cookies are great in these summer months!

Anonymous said...

All this talk of heat...ugh it's been the wettest June since records began here and severe flooding. We're still waiting for summer.

Debbie, do you have a basement? The one year we lived in Toronto without a/c (the other years we had it, thankfully) we took to sleeping in the basement. Oh, and driving off to a mall for an hour or two to drink pink lemonade until we all cooled off in their a/c and then went back home to try and sleep. It was a very difficult summer!

Debbie said...

Amy we save on the AC bills, but pay for the high heating bills in the winter.

Cynthia, I really don't mind the heat. My hubby suffers some and will often sleep in the livingroom where it is cooler.

Emily, I enjoy the heat, but don't think I would like it so hot you can't enjoy being outside.

Dorothy, we have a cellar...rocks, dirt, scary things! I would not want to have to sleep down there.

Salar37_Shushan said...

Looks like your adorable little ones are having a great time. :))

Debbie, the trick is clearing out the cellar and making it active well before you plan to use it. Hopefully by then you will have convinced the spiders to relocate. ;) Cellars really can offer a great deal of relief, if its big enough and set up to use.

Another good idea is keeping those misting bottles people have for watering plants around and use them to water each other down as often as needed. Helps a great deal!

Susan in Va (SHS)

Jodi said...

Cute playing/baking/airport pictures.

We only had two nights that were uncomfortable for sleeping even with a fan. Unfortunatey this made the kids more tired and fussy about getting up for VBS but we made it through.

You have the same cellar we have!

Kristine said...

We don't have A/C here and also are able to keep things cool inside, at least on our main level. (Our upstairs is not as pleasant.)

I always think about the settlers and pioneers, they managed quite well, lol.