Thursday, May 08, 2008

More Spring Blooms

I do not have large clumps of tulips, although each year I say I am going to plant more. The problem with spring bulbs is that they can be quite messy after they bloom, but before the foliage dies back. Some people pull up the bulbs and replant new ones each year. In theory, I like this idea, but I am too frugal to toss old bulbs. The result is a have a few bulbs around that are quickly covered with perennials that come up and hide the ugly foliage. One of these years I am going to plant a large batch with just spring flowering bulbs.

The Epimediums are blooming. I love these petite little flowers although you might miss them if you don't look real close. They hang downward and the foliage often obscures them. Epimediums are a great shade plant and the foliage is wonderful. I have this yellow one and a rose colored one.



3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I LOVE flowers but I swear I have the black thumb of death. Tulips are my favorite.....I may have to plant some this year even though we are moving. LOL

Jeanne said...

All of your photographs are so very lovely indeed.
Blessings~

Cynthia said...

I just leave my tulips.. it doesn't matter to me that they don't look that great until they wither away....