Sunday, June 03, 2007

Snapping Turtle

On our way to bring Bessie to youth group tonight, we spotted this snapping turtle. It was a pretty good sized one, probably a female as they come on land to lay their eggs.

Gabe was a bit nervous to get too close as they can pack a good bite it you get too close. He finally put his hand close enough to get a size comparison.


5 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Oh my goodness! That is huge. What a neat thing to see on the way to church. Was Gabe the only one with you?

Cynthia said...

That is a big turtle! Good job for having your camera along and enough spare to stop and photograph it.

Debbie said...

Kathy, the Littles were in the van, but this can be a very busy road and I was worried about traffic. They are really not as interested in nature as Gabe, so they hung out in the van.

Cynthia, I've gotten so I always have my camera along, you never know what a good shot of something will come along.

Kristine said...

Hey, Holly and I saw a turtle walking across "our" street when we were in Virginia! You can imagine how thrilled that Trevor was to hear that! It was smaller though, about the size of a red eared slider.

Jodi said...

BIG turtle. Great that you had your camera with you.