Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cabinet Troubles

Hmm...is this some new trend in kitchen design or accessory? Actually, it is just what it appears to be...a car jack and a brick.

This afternoon, I noticed that the cabinet doors were not coming together straight...no major deal in a very old house, but I knew they where much closer than this before. Upon further investigation, I discovered that that cabinets where pulling away from the wall. Yikes! I called Brian and he said to take everything out of the cabinets. Which Bessie, Gabe and I did.

Apparently when we took the peg board off the wall, that was a major part of what was holding the cabinets up. These are not conventional manufactured cabinets and they cut a lot of corners when making them.

When Bri got home, he jacked the cabinets back up and went to work on putting in bracing and screwing the cabinets to the wall properly. It was quite a bit of work getting the kitchen back in order, but it is done! You just have to love living in an old house.

All my glassware on the washer and dryer

4 comments:

Linda said...

Gee, minus the brick and jack, that's what most of my counters look like! Of course, I have 5 cabinets in my kitchen which must house ALL the dishes, cookware, and foodstuffs. Rotten little kitchen. There's not a day I don't get frustrated at the stuff falling on me, or having to get a chair to get to things...sigh. SOMEDAY, I'll own a house!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Goodness...it's a good thing you are observant. The way my month is going I wouldn't have noticed until the cabienent fell off the wall. LOL

Jodi said...

Oh No! This type of thing tends to happen here too. best not to change anything as you don't know what is holding what up! LOL

Cynthia said...

We also live in an older home so I know how that goes sometimes! I bet you're glad to have your kitchen back in order!