Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Just Another Day

Today started out really well. As you can see Rachel and Hannah were working at the table and Gabe was helping me keep Dan occupied. A little while later the phone rang. I don't always answer the phone, but it was Brian. As he was giving me some info on tax and insurance stuff, the children wandered away. So much for our nice quiet morning. Soon, this one and that one were arguing over some toy. The other one didn't want to come back and do school and some wanted to eat, even though it was only 10am and so it went. The only one who stayed on task was Bessie who was working in the other room on her math and DIVE cd. Of course, once the arguing started, that disturbed her! Frown Oh well...such is the life of a homeschooler...at least this one.

We did manage to get everyone calmed back down, separated enough to keep the peace and those that needed to, back to the table to finish their seat work.

A peaceful scene
Bessie works on her math
After lunch, Gabe, Rachel and I headed out for a walk. Rachel wanted to go and I decided I thought she could bundle up enough to stay warm. Hannah and Dan have to ride for part of the walk, so I didn't think they would be able to stay warm enough. We had a nice walk and having Rachel along kept Gabe better occupied and he didn't complain about being tired. We counted bird's nest on the way back. It is amazing how many there were.

We went to a friend's birthday party after dinner. Cake, ice cream, presents and friends...a great combination.

Overall it was a good day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not make it without our DIVE CD -- go, SAXON!!!!
Your day looked/sounded like many at our house. Sometimes I think my kids learn in spite of homeschooling, not always BECAUSE of homeschooling -- haha. . .
Blessings,
Nikki

Cynthia said...

We love DIVE as well..... I have the same "problems" when the phone rings... it takes so long to round everyone back up again.

Romany said...

Debbie,

I remember when my kids were little and we were home-schooling. I was still a La Leche League counsellor and got a lot of phone calls. Each time I was talking to a distressed mum the kids would wander off an get into mischief. I realised then that phones and home-schooling really do not mix! {g}

Dorothy

Jodi said...

Me too about the phone, blah, I hate it when it rings in th morning I know it'll throw off our routine but oftn I answer it anyway for some reason!

I agree with Nikki tha it does appear that learning happens anyway, although as my kids get older I find myself stressing more about having written "proof" just in case. It's been driving Hayley crazy because she is used to me being relaxed and fun and I keep saying but you're 11 now....I think we have decided on teaching textbooks math to start next year so it is more formal but she thinks it may be "fun". There is a cat on the 7th grade sample so she is hoping there is an animal on the 6th grade one.