Monday, July 09, 2007

The Maine Marine Resourse Aquarium

The Aquarium was our next stop. The kids always love going here. There is a nice big touch tank where you can touch and hold many sea creatures. Last year the Littles were very reluctant to do much touching, but this year they eagerly took turns holding the lobsters, crabs, seastars and snails.

Bri shows Dan a Sea Scallop
Dan was brave enough to hold one himself
Gabe holds a Horseshoe Crab
Rachel and Gabe enjoy petting the Dogfish sharks
There was a large tank with several Dogfish Sharks in it. You can pet them. The Sharks seem to enjoy it as they continue to swim around and poke there noses out of the water. Either that or they are waiting for a finger or two to taste, although the attendants assure us they they would not bite. Hannah and Dan did not want to take the chance.

By the time we got back to the campground, it was pouring again. The kids did some coloring and played with their new toys. They even spent some time outside under the awning. I think I'll have a load of wet clothes to dry.
It was a good first day of our vacation.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

I should have started reading back aways because now I'm anxious to see where you went. We LOVE aquariums and it looks like the kids were having a great time.

Anonymous said...

It's great that the kids are more relaxed this year.

Dorothy

Kristine said...

I'll admit I'd be looking at that scallop and thinking about a bit of butter and garlic in a fry pan, lol!