Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Bat in the House

We have a very old house, ca. 1840s. Every once in a while, we get a bat in the house. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen.

This morning as Dan and I headed into the downstairs bathroom, I noticed something on the floor. When it moved I have to admit to letting out a little start! It was a bat. I closed the door and gathered up my bat catching tools.

Poor little guy clinging to the wall in our bathroom

I used Gabe's bug net and a piece of cardboard. I gently put the net flush with the wall over the bat and slid the cardboard between him and the wall.

Safely in the net, I brought him outside. He seemed quite startled by the bright sunshine and took a few low wide circles before flying off, looking fine.

I'm sure he was just as glad to be out of the house as we were to have him outside.

My trapping technique

Bringing him outside

8 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

LOL Very good technique. When I was a kid we used to gauge when it was time to go in by when the bats would attack our wiffle balls.LOL

Cynthia said...

NO WAY! You've *GOT* to be kidding! You are superwoman in my book! There's no way I would ever attempt to catch a bat. I think I would have had to call Animal Control or something (LOL)! I'm such a whimp!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You're the WOMAN!

Debbie said...

LOL, Cynthia, you are too funny. I really am not afraid of things like that, so it isn't that big of deal...now, calling all those diving companies is way more cause for being nervous than a little old bat...animals don't phase me, but people make me nervous!

Emily said...

There is no way in heaven that I would of even got close to that thing! You are amazing!!!!!

Kristine said...

Okay, *I* would not be any good at bat catching. We enjoy watching them at dusk though, and this is the time of year when we see them the most.

My mom has bats at her house. They live behind the shutters, creepy but cool too. The first time my mom/Mike had to get one out of the house, they left the front door open and the bat flew right back in the house! Amateurs, lol!! They have it down to an art now too!

Cynthia said...

LOL. Ok.. then I won't feel so bad for being a whimp when it comes to animals. Can you believe we called animal control last week over a *CAT*! Not even a "wild" cat such as a mountain lion... just a cat cat. It was acting really strange though and there is a rabies quarantine in our county so we decided to have animal control come and get it. It wasn't one of our cats. Anyway... ugh... bats. I just don't like them. We used to have a swimming pool here and they would swing down at us when we swam at night. I managed the cave tubing experience though... those bats stayed put up at the top of the cave while we tubed through... ugh... I was worried about one flying down at us though.

I'm so impressed with all you do... catching bats, turning on the heater in your van in the middle of the summer, etc!

berrypatch said...

Deb, when I grow up I want to be like you! :-) I'm so impressed you caught the bat. I all Bob over mice let alone a bat! Nope - not me!!! LOL