Thursday, November 09, 2006

Art Curriculum

We have been using Art Through Children's Literature this year and it has been a very good choice for us.

This is what the back of the book says...
"Inspire students to create their own masterpices! The projects in this book, based on the exquisite illustrations found in Caldecott Award-winning titles, guide students to create art with qualities similar to those found in such beloved books as Make Way for Ducklings, Owl Moon, Jumanji, and Where the Wild Things Are. The activities employ a variety of media-pencil, crayon, marker, colored pencil, chalk, stencils, collage, watercolor, tempera, color mixing, and printmaking-and teach children about basic art principles and such art elements as line, color, texture, shape, space and value."

The kids have been enjoying it and it is very easy for me to implement. The Caldecott books are readily available through our library system. You can pick and choose the medium and/or art element you want to teach and then pick the book that will illustrate it for the kids. I have been working right along with them. The book says for grades K-6, but our 14yo dd who is in 9th grade is enjoying it as well.

3 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

This looks great! I think that I'm going to look it up. Evie loves to draw and paint so it might just be something we can work on. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

Jodi said...

Ok this sounds REALLY good. We always enjoyed the little art lessons with five in a row books. This sounds as if it would expand upon those types of ideas.

I've been very bad about getting art into our homeschooling for some reason, probably because i'm not artistic at all!

Cynthia said...

That looks like a LOT OF FUN! I'll check back later to see pictures of art samples!
Cynthia