Sunday, November 19, 2006

Busy Saturday

Yesterday was a good day. We got a lot of chores done.

The weather was much cooler, with temps in the 40s, but the sun was bright and shining and the sky was blue.

Brian always has lots of helpers


We made a library run in the morning. We needed to stock up on books and videos before the holiday weekend. They will be closed for several days next week.

"Big Diesel" and his "girls" enjoying the day
Silling name for a rooster, but Gabe named him


We spent the afternoon working outside. This time of year there is always so many things outside to pick up and put away for the winter. We never know when the first big storm will hit and plunge us into winter.

Gabe discovered our video camera and has
been having a ball...perhaps a budding filmaker?


We picked up all the kids toys...lots of sandbox toys, bikes, balls, various other things. We left out a few of the bikes, but made room in the shed for them if the weather turns. We also picked up all the garden tools and hoses.

Hannah gets a step up into the tree


My garden pond was next. The pump was removed and put away and we removed as many of the leaves as we could without draining it. The plants and fish had already been removed before our first frost. We got things ready for the winter birdbath, but I didn't plug it in yet. I'll have to take care of the concrete birdbath when the weather gets colder, but I like to leave it full as long as possible.

Bri works hard cleaning out the ditch


The biggest project was cleaning out the ditches in the front of the yard. It fills up with leaves from the maple trees and this causes the water to run across the road if we get a heavy rain. It took many, many wheelbarrow loads to clean it out.

It felt great to get all the pre-winter things done.

Mom and Dad came over after dinner with a truckload of wood and to go attend the preformance at church.

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I kind of like the rooster's name. He looks like a big diesel, LOL.

We've been picking up the outside toys too. I must remember the hoses, one year we forgot and they got buried froze and cracked.

Cynthia said...

I didn't know you had chickens! We MUST get outside and pick up our outdoor things because I know winter is just around the corner here as well. We've had snow 4 or 5 times already now, but it didn't last more than a day and it hasn't really been cold. I bet it feels good to have everything done!

Debbie said...

It does feel good, Cynthia. Our major motivation is that Brian is going TDY and will be gone for 3-4 weeks. The cold weather will really be upon us by the time he gets home.